I strongly believe that if you can tell a story, you can write a story. In my Skype Classroom visits, I’ve demonstrated this first-hand to countless students. But many kids find writing about as fun as pushing a boulder up a hill - and just as challenging. If we can help make writing fun, as well as a regular activity, it can become a lifelong – and life-enriching - habit. One of my favorite tools to help accomplish this is the writing prompt, or as I like to call it, an Imagination Launcher.
Imagination Launchers not only help kids jump-start their imaginations, they help build skills in areas like explanation and problem solving. That’s why I’ve created an free printable Download Imagination launcher worksheet for classrooms to help students see the endless possibilities that await them when they put pen to paper.
Now, as many kids (and teachers) know, I have a lot of pets. Hundreds of them, of all kinds! I named one of my dogs Spyri, after the author of “Heidi,” a favorite book of mine when I was little. Spyri has agreed to help me with my Imagination Launcher. He’s featured in some fun animated videos and a downloadable worksheet.
Ideas for your classroom
- Watch an Imagination Launcher animation starring my dog Spyri – and let the stories begin!
- Use my printable worksheet and stretch your students’ imaginations with short writing prompts and coloring fun Download Imagination launcher worksheet
- Use writing prompts like these to help your students start their stories:
* What would you say if you were able to communicate with animals?
* What do you think pirates did on their days off?
* If you were the smartest person in the world, what problem would you solve first?
* How would a spoiled princess survive if she got lost in a forest?
* What would happen if you crossed a dog with a dinosaur?
- And don't forget to bookmark my annual Be-a-Famous Writer contest, so your students can put all of their practice into action.